Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Test results.

I don't know what it is...maybe the fact that I've never broken a bone or even needed a stitch, but hospitals give me anxiety. The smell, the sick people, the food. It's just one big building full of anxiety. And let's not even talk about the fact that I'll be there in 6 months for an undetermined amount of time to deliver. I'm blissfully unaware right now. But anyway, I digress...So, naturally, when I saw that my doctor's office was calling the other day, my heart skipped a beat. I forgot they were going to call with the results of my pre-screening. The first thing I heard out of Nurse Claudia's voice (my doctor's primary nurse) was "I have great news" and the anxiety lessened for the time being. Apparently I tested above the normal average so all is good with baby. He or she is growing at the correct rate and passing tests with flying colors. I just knew Kevin's baby would be smart, even in utero :) Although those tests don't detect 100% of problems and they can be wrong, it makes me worry a little bit less.

I went back and forth between even having the testing done in the first place. It didn't seem to make sense considering I wouldn't go past the pre-screening no matter what the results were. An amniocentesis can cause a miscarriage. No thank you. And let me just put it out there, whatever you believe about pro-life or pro-choice is your opinion. I don't preach and I don't judge. For me personally, I know I could never have an abortion. It's not in the cards for me to terminate a pregnancy if there was a higher or even sky-rocketing chance that my baby would be born with down syndrome or spina bifida or any other developmental disorder. It is Kevin and my firm belief that we'll take what we can get. Whether it's a boy, a girl, perfectly healthy or one that needs constant care, it's still our baby and we'll love it forever. So, we decided on a compromise. I'll do the pre-screening but not one test more, no matter the results. He said the pre-screening was going to make him worry a little less and he thought it was valuable. After it's all said and done, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm happy I did it but I am happy it made Kevin less anxious. It's all about give and take, right? Learning to roll with the punches, I suppose. All part of growing up and growing into the parents we want to be. So for now, we're going to praise God for the positive results of the test and trust that He's guiding this pregnancy in the direction it's meant to be heading. His plan is perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, now relax and just enjoy the rest of your pregnancy! I can't wait till the first time you feel he or she move!! love you, mom

    ReplyDelete