Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just call me "Olivia"

"[Pregnancy] is wonderful. You do get that pregnant mush-brain...you know what it's like? It's like getting stoned." ~Kate Hudson

It's official. I'm losing my mind. Call it pregnancy brain or mommy brain or momnesia or just plain craziness or whatever you'd like but I am officially nuts. Friends at work lovingly call me Olivia now, after a friend of ours that used to work with us. She got pregnant and all the sudden her brain couldn't process anything anymore. Even the simplest of tasks became a game of remembering what she was actually trying to do and how to do it. It was as if she had literally lost her mind. We always thought it was really funny. Well, it's not so funny now that it's me! There really is no explanation. Perhaps all my energy is going towards nurturing and growing this little life that not much is left to stimulate my brain?

Perfect example #1: Last night Kevin asked me a question, a very simple question. I remember staring blankly at him trying to process what he had just said. It was literally 2 minutes before a word even slipped from my mouth that wasn't "umm?" or "uhh??" He was staring at me, I was staring at him. Awkward silence. He might as well have asked in Japanese because it was all foreign to me. In response, he just smiled and laughed to himself, asked again and we went on our merry way. BAM! Pregnancy brain.

Perfect example #2: Last weekend Kevin and I spent 20 minutes of our lives returning soda cans. I was pretty excited about the $9 in bottle return vouchers. So excited, apparently, that I put them in my back pocket as we picked up the usual paper towels and granola bars. Once we made it back to the register, I went digging for those vouchers. Yep, pregnancy brain got me again. They were NOWHERE to be found. And, like a couple fools, we back-tracked every aisle and every shelf we'd visited to find those vouchers. I was determined to get them back. Well, no such luck. Kevin went to pay and I went to sit in the table area to wait for him and cry it out. Yes, I literally cried over $9 worth of bottle returns. In the grand scheme of things is $9 really going to alter my life? No. But did it seem like it at the time? Yes. BAM! Pregnancy brain.

1 comment:

  1. Ok... I have never heard of pregnancy brain. Are you sure your generation did not make that up? Get tough girl. This is the easy part. You cried because your hormones are fluctuating. I remember crying relentlessly at sad movies and when my cat died I cried for weeks. Accept it for what it is. Your brain is wired right now to do one thing and one thing only and that is protect and nourish.
    Love you, Vegas Mom

    ReplyDelete