Thursday, September 8, 2011

26 is a good number.

It's my current age. It's Kevin's current age. It's the number of letters in the English alphabet. It is also the minimum number of moves needed to solve any disordered Rubik's cube. As if that isn't cool enough, it's most importantly how far along I am. 26 weeks! Little Claire Bear is starting to pack it on and is now weighing in at approximately 1 and 2/3 of a pound. She stretches an estimated 14 inches from head to toe. As if her new size isn't noticeable enough, she's making her presence known both outwardly and inwardly. Now, instead of forgetting that I was pregnant and feeling like nobody could really tell, I feel pregnant. Every day my balance seems to have shifted a little bit more. I can feel my hips starting to widen and my abdominal muscles are stretching all day long. I am relishing every moment I have left with my pre-pregnancy belly button before it pops out any day now. I can feel that I carry myself differently when I walk and, after sitting for long periods, my hips feel a little strained like they need a good stretch. Sleeping is getting a little more uncomfortable each night, but I can still manage. Kevin, on the other hand, is a different story :)

In other new developments, my bladder has now become my alarm clock. I go to bed pass out between 9-10 o'clock most nights. I tell myself I am just resting my eyes but then, like clockwork, my bladder wakes me up at 1am and 4.45am every morning. Seriously, every morning. Baby Claire must really be taking up all the room in my belly because my bladder is just getting smushed. I swear, some days, it feels like she just sits on my bladder or kicks it. Very odd sensation. Also, I learned by accident that if I push my belly button, it makes me have to pee. I'm kind of like the Pillsbury Dough Boy haha!

Each day at work seems longer than the one before and more difficult for me to get through. I understand why some women go to half-days during their pregnancy. I feel energized during the first half to the day but once lunch rolls around, forgetaboutit. I'm basically useless. My hips start to really hurt, my eyes get heavy and I just really want to take a nap. Usually I'd use a cheap boost of caffeine to replace that spring in my step but it's not possible anymore. They say you want what you can't have. Well, at 26 weeks pregnant, I want a guaranteed daily nap and a big ol' Starbucks each afternoon. Oh Pregs, dream on.

According to babycenter.com, the network of nerves in my baby girl's ears are better developed and more sensitive than before. It is believed that she can now hear both my voice and Kevin's voice when we have normal conversations. Kevin will be excited to learn that, as he really wants her to recognize his voice after she's born. She is constantly inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid which is essential for the development of her lungs. These exercises help teach her how to breathe prior to when she takes her first breath post-delivery. A delivery which is only about 14 weeks away, give or take a week or two. We can't wait to meet our little Claire Bear. She's already stolen the hearts of her mama and her papa, even if she has taken up temporary residence on my bladder :)

No comments:

Post a Comment