Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yes or no?

The beauty in life is the unexpected. You're thrown curve balls that you have to learn to deal with, but between every curve ball the unchanging tasks continue to grow. Either I need to permanently stop playing the game or I need to dodge a few extra curve balls to reduce the risk of striking out.

It's days like yesterday that make me realize that I do not always have the most accurate view of my plate and exactly how full it may be. I always think "sure, I have a little room to wedge a new task between this, that and the other thing" and I can manage a semi-successful juggle for a while. Then all the sudden my plate topples over, my house is a wreck, my husband feels neglected, I haven't accomplished what I needed to and I feel overwhelmed just picking up the pieces. When this happens, I usually always realize that the smallest wedges are often times my biggest priorities that have been squeezed and strangled to fit into a particular space. Between my different duties of working full-time, being responsible for all the finances, being a wife, being a daughter, being a sister, being an aunt, being a designer, and being a full-time housekeeper, I tend to start to unravel at both ends. And, at the end of the day, there doesn't seem to be enough time to really just be me. I'm getting swallowed up by all these new titles that "Katie" doesn't seem to be one that I recognize much anymore. It's not that I feel overwhelmed and I am saying "yes" to things that I really want to say "no" to. It's quite the opposite - I love every person and every opportunity so much that I fear if I do turn it down, the opportunity won't present itself again. I need to work on this. No, I vow to work on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment