Wednesday, November 2, 2011

34 weeks - 6 to go!

At 4 and 3/4 pounds and approximately 18 inches long, baby Claire is now the healthy size of a cantaloupe. Let's just say, her mama is much more aware of her growing size with every passing day. I literally have to grunt to get off the couch or out of bed, not gonna lie. Kevin actually has to come upstairs and help me get out of the bathtub, too! Last night I tried to get myself out and almost gave myself a hernia. (When they say your stomach muscles get weak, they're not kidding!) Not only is she growing like a weed, but she's also slowly losing space to wiggle around in there. That means, much more force when she's moving around to get comfortable in the womb. It's almost like a show - watching the outside of my belly poke out and move in different places. She drags her pointy little elbow or her twinkle toes across my belly and I can easily follow her movements. Literally looks like something is in there trying to get out. Kevin compares it to an alien. Every once in a while, I have to poke an elbow, a hand or a foot and remind her that she can't get out that way. It hurts on occasion but it's more entertaining than anything. She still prefers to be mostly on the right side of my body. So much so at times that my belly looks lopsided! Pretty much every evening, Kevin arrives home from work (after I do) to find me sprawled out on the couch, comfy clothes on, feet elevated, shirt up and my hands on my belly just watching the Claire Show. She continues to be the center of my world.

In other noteworthy news, she's still packing on the fat layers in preparation for life in this big world. Her central nervous system and lungs are continuing to mature. As for the mama, I'm feeling particularly tired, a little overwhelmed and somewhat stressed these days. Clarification: I am not stressed out, but I feel the stress of having a lot to do in a short amount of time. As I tick off one of forty weeks every Wednesday, I feel a stronger sense that the end is near. Restless nights full of rolling over trying to roll over, trying to find a comfortable position and frequent pee breaks (followed by a never-ending thirst quenching drink of water that only leads to more pee breaks) are starting to take a toll on me. Getting through the work day proves more and more difficult. Every time I stand up from my desk, I have to pee. *This has actually become an art because I've learned if I stand up too quickly, I may actually pee my pants. That's no joke! So, coworkers, if you see me walking half-upright down the hallway I'm just trying to keep it all together, ok?* I've actually suggested temporarily moving my desk into the bathroom but for some reason HR has a problem with that. At about 3pm every day, I'm done. I've hit a wall and it's really hard to get past it. Sometimes, making a glass of hot cider or hot cocoa can coax me from my pregnancy coma but it's not guaranteed. It's so funny because I used to be appalled when I'd hear other pregnant women say they were ready for baby to be born to take the burden off their bodies, but now I'm starting to see exactly where they are coming from. Funny how your perspective is always changing. Overall, my little cantaloupe and I are doing just fine. We have a doctor's appointment this afternoon so I'll be sure to keep you posted on it's events.

No comments:

Post a Comment