Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Timing is everything.

It's been a common question for most to ask when I will be leaving work to prepare for the baby's arrival. My response usually entails some lighthearted sarcasm like "not until I pop this sucker out!" or "hopefully my water doesn't break on my office chair!" or something equally uncommitting. Now, as my due date nears, I'm starting to think things over a little more seriously. Why not take some time to relax and mentally prepare? Why not use some of that saved up vacation/comp time to tie up loose ends before bringing a new baby home? Why not? I just don't have a very good answer. I used to think that I wanted the full 3 months with the baby after she's born to get to know her and really settle into my new role as a mama. However, I see the benefit of taking a few days or a week to myself to de-stress, relax and just wait for the big moment. The beauty of it is, I have enough time on the books to do it without it being considered FMLA so I will still get paid if I plan to take a week or so off prior to my due date. It's all just a matter of timing.

At my doctor's appointment on Monday, I am going to discuss with her the logistics of this whole unpredictable labor/birth scenario. My most demanding questions:

1. What happens if I go past my due date?
2. At what point would I, should I, could I be induced?

The answers to these questions will help me to determine what kind of time I should try to take off prior to the baby coming. I want time to get everything in order. I want some time to bottle up my energy. I want time to myself. Since I am highly affected by stress and my environment (especially because December is the single most stressful month at work for the entire year), I know I will crave the time to decompress. Again, it's all just a matter of timing. Kevin and I obviously have a lot to discuss. The verdict is TBD.

No comments:

Post a Comment