Thursday, August 25, 2011

In a nutshell? All is good!

My six month doctor's appointment went off without a hitch today. My blood pressure is still good, a little lower than usual, but good. Doc didn't tell me what the baby's heart BPM was, but it sounded strong and healthy. Judging by her rustling around in there, she seems happy and healthy. I was measured for the first time today and doc says everything is measuring right on track. My weight did go up a few pounds this time around but it's still well below what it was when I first got pregnant. I always said gaining weight wouldn't be a big issue because it's supposed to happen when you're pregnant, but now that the scale is slowly creeping up, it does make me think twice about my eating habits. Whoever said you're eating for two when you're pregnant was making up excuses to pig out :) I eat what I normally would with the exception of more snacking on fresh fruits and veggies (annnd a few peanut butter m&m's here and there). Doc says whatever I've been doing has been working out great for me and the baby. Of course, I didn't tell her about the huge piece of cherry cheesecake I scarfed down on our anniversary or the Panda Express I had for dinner last night :) Hey, you never know what you're gonna crave next! But, I digress...the rest of the appointment was back and forth discussion about my concerns at this point in my pregnancy with Dr Johnson. At this point, I don't have many questions so she told us since the baby is now 24 weeks and at a viable age, she could potentially live if I were to deliver early. Of course, it would be risky and nobody wants that but it's good to know. Basically, she said we need to get our ducks in a row now. It's almost game time. We are going to schedule our birthing classes, my water aerobics classes and get a tour of the labor and delivery ward in asap. Better to be safe than sorry is her thinking. She also gave me the warning signs of premature labor and told me if at any point I think something is wrong, to trust my instincts and just come in. Not a problem! I'm paranoid anyway...I get it from my parents!

On the way home, Kevin and I were talking about my pregnancy thus far and the fact that we both can't believe I'm already at six months. Even though I was sick in the beginning, I've been really blessed with a good pregnancy. No major complications, no scares, etc. If it continues this way until the end, I am going to be one lucky mama. God has given me such peace of mind over the whole situation. I am enjoying being as calm as a cucumber. I just know that it's all in His hands and I'm reminded of that daily. In fact, our next appointment at 28 weeks is going to be the glucose test dun-dun-dun. Basically, I have to drink 8 oz of super concentrated corn-syrup mixed with flat, orange soda on a practically empty stomach, wait an hour then have my blood drawn. This test will tell me if my body can process all the sugar or if I have gestational diabetes. Normally, I would be panicking over the fact that I could even be at risk for gestational diabetes (even though they give this test to every one) and be fretting for a whole month over having my blood drawn, but I'm not worried about either. I trust that my baby and I are in God's hands and that He will take care of us. It's not up to me to worry...that's His job. I'm too busy cooking this little being and contemplating nursery paint colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment