Friday, August 5, 2011

Giddy for a girl!


It was almost automatic - so many people asked me, after I told them that we're expecting a girl, if we were happy. It was more like Ooh, how did Kevin take it? or Oh, are you disappointed? or Is that what you were hoping for? One person even bent over, stuck her tongue out and made a groaning sound...I guess she wanted me to have a boy. A few others even took it as far as to look at me with those pity eyes because perhaps, in passing, I'd mentioned something about it being fun if we had a boy. Let me just put this out there: Neither Kevin nor I cared if we had a boy or a girl. We believe we'd have what we were meant to have. A boy or a girl? It didn't matter. It was going to be our baby regardless. And, since we're new at this whole parenting thing, it's not like we had any experience with one or the other. If you have nothing to compare it to, it's easy to not have a strong opinion. Don't get me wrong...we were excited to find out but we weren't going to be disappointed with either outcome. And let me just tell you, it was such a blessing to walk out of our doctor's appointment hand-in-hand with big smiles on our faces. A little girl. Our little girl. How could you not be excited?

I understand why some may get disappointed - maybe they want one of each sex or they already have a girl so now they want a boy (or vice versa). Or perhaps they only plan to have one child and, if they had to could choose, would prefer one over the other. It makes sense. I just figured we created this little being and the gender was already determined so there was no point in being disappointed over something you had no control over. {Yeah, I said that. Are you proud? This is the whole Katie-trying-to-be-more-positive!} Of course, there is a very real chance that this will be our only baby and, if so, we're thrilled that we will have a daughter to love and cherish. We also won't know any different. It's a win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment