Saturday, February 26, 2011

"F*cking Perfect" by Pink

Never mind that the f-word in this song is completely unnecessary, which makes the song seem completely inappropriate to some. Except for the ugly word, it has a beautiful message:

You're so mean
When you talk about yourself
You were wrong
Change the voices in your head
Make them like you instead
So complicated
Look how we are making
Filled with so much hatred
Such a tired game
It's enough
I've done all I can think of
Chased down all my demons
Let's see you do the same

Pretty, pretty please
Don't you ever, ever feel
Like you're less, less than perfect
Pretty pretty please
If you ever, ever feel
Like you're nothing
You are perfect to me


Every time I hear this song, I picture Sophia and Peyton. I sing it at the top of my lungs, fist in the air, an anthem to being comfortable in your own skin and knowing that, even when you have doubts about yourself, you are perfect just the way you are. And there are so many people around willing to tell you the same.

I never want my nieces to go through all the unnecessary challenges that face young girls today. It was enough pressure when I was growing up (and still am) but even more so today. Eating disorders. Promiscuity for attention. Partying, drugs and drinking. Pushing themselves to be other people's versions of perfect. I want them to see all the strong independent women around them as examples on how to learn and overcome these challenges. I don't want either of them to look in a mirror one day and have thoughts that I did growing up - my breasts are too large/too small, my thighs are touching! ::gasp!::, my hair doesn't lay right, my eyes aren't the right shape, my collar bones don't stick out enough, I'm too prude and boys won't like me. Growing up is hard enough without all this added stress. I just wish they could think of themselves when they are 16 the same way they do now - as beautiful and perfect. And most of all, as loved. I plan to be there every day to remind them.

*if you haven't seen this video on youtube, i suggest you watch it here. very beautiful message.

No comments:

Post a Comment