Monday, January 31, 2011

A thought.

A lady at my work was in an interesting funk today regarding the fact that it's her birthday tomorrow and she's "barely hanging on to a temporary job in an agency she never cared to work for in the first place" to pay off debt from years ago that she just can't seem to get a hold of. Her words, not mine. She is irritated at the volume of applicants that are clawing for the same jobs she is but she has one problem - they are all 26. Twenty years her junior. Dun dun dun...Kevin's age. I can see the frustration from her perspective but it seems more real looking out my own front door. So my question is: Is it worse for someone that has been in the workforce for years already or for someone, like my husband, that hasn't even been given a chance?

All I can really say is, it is difficult for both. The only silver-lining I see is that through this situation, Kevin and I are learning financial skills that will hopefully prevent us from being in her situation. In debt at 52 years old without a "real job" to cover it? Nooooo thank you. [We're not even in debt now]

Through every situation, you learn valuable lessons. They say this recession is going to be responsible for teaching our generation to make wiser financial choices, to live within our means and to save more money for the unexpected. That's definitely a silver-lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment