Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In sickness and in health.

NYQUIL: my nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, make-me-pass-out-and-snore-so-loud-my-husband-contemplates-smothering-me-with-a-pillow, get-me-so-sleepy-i-don't-budge-until-noon medicine.

. . .

Friday morning I woke to visions of a fun night out on the town with my main squeeze in celebration of a new year, new opportunities and new memories to be made. Sipping champagne, watching the ball drop, kissing at midnight. Then, I cleared my throat. Sick. Again?

So, after spending all day Friday on the couch, I mustered up enough energy to go out with Kevin for a New Year's dinner at PF Changs (not because I felt up to it exactly; more to verify that I am really not as lame as it seems sometimes). Then, it was back to bed for me.

Today is Tuesday and, despite a new year, hardly anything has changed thus far. I am dreading getting out of bed for fear of my backside having permanently dented our relatively new mattress. I have literally been in bed, wearing the same pajamas for the past five days (relaxxxx, I've bathed!). Every morning (err, afternoon) when I wake from my medicated coma, I remember why I hate being sick. Although I sleep like a rock (probably due to the hefty dose of NyQuil combined with the overflowing dose of Tylenol Cold Warmning and a splash of Robitussin), I get really bored just laying there, sipping tea and watching movies. The only thing that has made the nighttime sniffling, sneezing, aching, coughing, stuffy-head, fever better is not the NyQuil (although copious amounts has helped profusely). It's my husband. Kevin is better than any medication. He takes care of me any way I need. He's made countless trips to the store for me... "honey, I need kleenex! please make sure they are the ones with lotion and aloe that don't dry out my nose? oh, and pears. the crunchy-not-too-ripe pears that I like. oh, and could you pick up some more orange juice?" and "honey, my tea cup is empty." and "honey, I know you just went to the store but I forgot to ask you for..." and "honey, I am just finished my 3rd disc of Dawson's Creek - will you bring me disc 4?" and "honey, can you make me some more ramen?" He did it all with a smile on his face. Trust me, that's no easy feat. When I am sick, I am instantly transformed into a small child that can do nothing for myself. Thank goodness he knew that going in :)

And let me just say, in regards to my weak immune system, I would recommend any one reading this to take up stock in NyQuil, Kleenex, and Top Ramen. I am single-handedly keeping them in business. Can't wait to join civilization tomorrow. It will really be something to join the land of the living. I was beginning to feel my vampire fangs poking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment