Monday, January 17, 2011

Take a risk OR too risky?

When you discover your mission,
you will feel it's demand.
It will fill you with enthusiasm
and a burning desire
to get to work on it.


Kevin and I have been toying with the idea of relocating for quite some time. Things here are stagnant and, after a while, it has begun to wear on us. We feel stuck. Nothing is working out here like it's supposed to. Nothing in our life has happened like it was "supposed to" so... What better time than when you're young to just find a new journey? Re-route your path? Why not just pack up what we need in a u-haul and and start over? Why not take a risk? What's the worst that can happen? Worst case scenario: we run out of money and are forced to come back home. Right now, we are still young, we are not tied down into careers yet and it's not like we have kids. The spontaneous side of me screams "Yes, do it! Go find an adventure, find new opportunities!" and the logical, pragmatic side says "Are you crazy? You can't leave your job! What if you don't find another?" So, my question is...where do you draw the line between taking a risk (a gigantic leap of faith) and being irresponsible? Like I have mentioned countless times before, I have always followed the rules. Always. Always. Always. I can count on one hand the number of "bad things" I did in high school/college that would have upset my parents. I just figured, I wanted to get ahead in life (make my parents proud) and I thought in order to do that I had to follow the right path to get success. So, that's what I did. Now, looking back at 5 years of college, it hasn't paid off for either of us. Obviously all my hard-work and stress hasn't paid off so why not try the other end of the spectrum? Maybe we aren't where we are supposed to be? I missed out on a lot of opportunities that could have dramatically changed the position I am in today. I am not saying I regret anything, but it's always interesting to mull over "what-if" scenarios. Bottom line to this "should-we-or-shouldnt-we" predicament: I am not a risk-taker by nature. I have a comfort bubble that is seldom challenged. How do you make such a life-altering decision? It's scary for me to think that I even have that much control over my own life. I do believe God has a plan for me, for Kevin and for our marriage but I also believe God helps those who help themselves. You have to be proactive, make the best decisions you can and just pray. Trusting in His plan is still very difficult for me. Maybe relocating has been on my heart because that is where the path is going to lead us? Or maybe it's just a chance for me to sit, be patient and let God be God.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes in life we are always looking for what is on the otherside of the fence, which makes us unhappy and unsettled with what we have. In these times when there are jobs that are so far and few in-between maybe it is just a time that God is teaching you patience. I know that it has been a long, long time for you and Kevin, but I believe that you both will achieve your dreams and the goals that you have been striving for. Walking away at a time when there are so many people struggling to find jobs, I pray that God will lay on your heart the comfort of being content in where you are and giving you a love for your job and being happy with what you have. This is not following rules it learning contentment and finding pleasure and happiness right where you are until you can reach comfortably for your dreams. During these hard, hard times it is so hard for us to just let God be God and trust in Him and that He has whats best for us in mind.

    ReplyDelete