Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thank you, mom.

It is now the 1st of December. My favorite month of the year. Now, the countdown begins to Christmas! There is so much joy and giving in this month. I feel like people are more willing to share what little they have with others. Kevin and I are always looking for ways to give. We donate toiletries every year to the Portland Rescue Mission. We usually participate in Operation: Christmas Child. I have a couple options lined up to serve a soup kitchen on Sundays. I always donate a toy or two to our local toy drive at work. The giving really is better than receiving. I just recently saw a "Fill a Stocking for a Senior" (toiletry items and everyday expenses that can add up) and I am tempted to fill one or two. I just think, I'd rather spend a little less on gifts for my family or a little less on going to the movies or eating out to spend a little more on those who don't have much. It's a shame that it doesn't happen consistently all year round, but at least you know at Christmastime people are thinking about the real reasons for the season.

They say there is something therapeutic about the sun. I also think the same thing about the winter season. Not so much the rain, but the crisp, cold air. The snow and icicles. The twinkling lights on houses. A hot cup of cider and a crackling fire. The Christmas trees covered in lights and ornaments. The funny and family-friendly holiday movies. The festive decorations and the cheery holiday music. It really does make it easier to say "Merry Christmas!" or "Happy Holidays!" when you are surrounded by so much beauty. That, my friends, is why Christmas is so special to me. Not because of the gifts I will receive, but because of the spiritual gifts you receive every day from strangers on the street and the generous spirit you see in others. I owe it all to my mother. She worked so hard to make Christmas special for her children, always decorating the house so beautiful and blasting the Christmas music. Everything about the holidays makes my heart happy. Your love for Christmas has been instilled in your children and your grand children. Thank you, mom, and Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the kind words. You made my heart sing! I love you so very much. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that is where you got your big heart from - your mother! I'm not surprised. Barbara, you are one of the most loving and generous people I know. Katie, feel free to gift us less and spend on your causes. I'm all for that!
    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete