Saturday, March 20, 2010

laughter is the best medicine.

since my mother told me she envisions me dead in my apartment from depression after she reads my blog posts, i've decided to create a positive post. for the past month or so, i've been stalking ticketmaster.com and craigslist to find chelsea handler tickets that i could afford. thursday night i finally gave up the idea of being able to attend her show last night. i couldn't afford to spend $75 per ticket. considering kevin didn't particularly want to see her, it would have been especially expensive to get him a ticket. then friday (last night) when i got home from work, i decided to look around once more. kevin was distracted by march madness and i felt my evening being smothered by basketball games! craigslist delivered some good news. i got 2 tickets for $35 each. $70 for 2 was definitely a lot more in my price range. i figured that we would have some pretty crappy seats but being there was better than nothing. when we showed up, we realized that we were in the FOURTH ROW!!! it worked out perfectly because, as we were rushing out the door to leave, i forgot my glasses. we were up so close with our fabulous ticket find, i could still see her. i didn't even have to look at the jumbo-tron screen! and smug little me was thinking "all these people around me paid so much more than i did. am i good or what!?!"

when we first got through the doors, there was a book table with a bunch of wristbands, one per book. kevin and i bought a book (thankfully they were just the regular listed price, not jacked up because of the signing). the wristbands allowed us to stay after the show to meet chelsea and get our books signed. it was very exciting. all these girls around me were freaking out - "omg what am i gonna say to her? do i look okay? etc." and i just walked up and asked if she was tired. by this point, it was past 1am. plus, this was the 3rd book signing she had to do that day. we talked for a little bit. i admired how funny, pretty and genuine she seemed. she said she loved portland, that our city was beautiful. and then it was over. now i have two books - one signed to my friend Veronica (she loves chelsea) and one for myself. guess i'll be taking back the exact same book i just bought from target two days ago. oh well, that's why i keep my receipts.

all in all, the show was hilarious. i laughed and laughed, without a care in the world. it was definitely fun to get out on the town with my husband and be entertained. what a perfect way to start off a 3-day weekend. thanks for coming to portland, ms. handler!

4 comments:

  1. Your mom's comments crack me up. Me, I just toss and turn every night worrying about you guys! So happy you had a fun night on the town. You deserve it! I think I will sleep good tonight. Enjoy the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who posted that?
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her! I am so jealous you got to go & enjoy the show! But I love when that happens (good for you for bargain hunting yay!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said that!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete