Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Humbled.

Recently, God has been revealing His blessings to me and I feel overwhelmed by all I have been taking for granted. A good friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. In the last couple months she has undergone two major surgeries and multiple chemo treatments. She has been forced to quit working and focusing on getting herself well. She has struggled more than I have ever been forced to and you know what...she never complains. She is the happiest person I know. She almost always has a smile on her face. She is a beautiful person inside and out. I have learned so much from her during this battle for her life. God has really laid her and her children's needs on my heart and it has been a powerful experience. It's funny how your life and your actions can be thrown into perspective when you focus on helping others instead of yourself. Because of her, I realize just how much I have to be thankful for. To be honest, I am quite embarrassed by my behavior. I am blessed and instead of sharing those blessings with a positive attitude, I have only focused on the little things that I don't have. How selfish.

So what if I have to work a couple days a week!
I know people that would die to have a job and benefits like I do. 
So what if I have to leave my daughter!
Sure, I miss her but she's with Grandma/her daddy and I know plenty of people that would love to not have to pay childcare. 
So what if I have to cook dinner!
At least I have the food in my fridge to do so and I don't have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. 
So what if we don't own a house!
We rent a beautiful home that is plenty big and we don't have to worry about how to pay for it. 
So what if I have to spend a day cleaning!
At least I have the energy to do so! 
So what if I have to pay for medical bills!
At least our family is healthy and we have insurance.

That's just it. So what. I feel humbled by my actions lately. It seems I grumble and complain about the smallest things when, in reality, I have SO much to be thankful for. From this point forward, I am going to try to live my life recognizing all the blessings I have been given and focus on sharing those blessings with those who need it. I don't want to live in a me-me-me mentality anymore. I can feel God working in my heart and I know this is going to be one wild ride.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Katie. I am so proud of you that you listened with your heart and have taken the steps to help another in need. We are so blessed. God is good. I love you and your heart. Mom

    ReplyDelete