Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Some nights you just gotta hold 'em.

Last night, my little angel fell asleep after nursing, cradled in my arms like a miniature heater. In our typical nightly ritual, Kevin came to take her upstairs to change her, wrap her and put her down but last night was different. Usually I am so ready for the break, either out of pure exhaustion or genuine selfishness of wanting one on one time with the hubs snuggling on the couch. But not last night. My heart was telling me to just hold her, just love on her for a few minutes longer so that I did. I studied her every eye lash and the movement of her eyelids as she drifted into dreamland. I watched her wrestle her lips around an air binky and finally give in to the fact that no binky was had. I listened to her come and go with every breath, rhythmic and steady. I breathed deep her intoxicating smell of sweet milk and baby lotion. I think I could have stayed there all night, wondering how long she's gonna let me hold her like this. Truth is, this stage will pass as quickly as the last 5 months have so I am just focusing on enjoying the present. She sure is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment