Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Airing my dirty laundry

Any time someone shows up on my porch to visit, I offer a simple disclaimer: sorry, my house is kinda messy. Yes, it's true. As much as I try to hide it, at any given time, I am usually up to my elbows in laundry, my sink is rarely void of dirty dishes and baby toys are strewn throughout our living room entire living space. There are currently 3 lightbulbs out in my entry way and hall way. Pretty sure the plants on my front porch have gone to plant heaven because remembering to water them is nearly impossible. Every time I walk down my stairs I can see the cobweb castle that's growing on my chandelier glistening in the sunlight. It drives my darling husband crazy when he goes to put something in the dryer and it's still stuffed full of clean (but now wrinkled) clothes. I have to explain that yes, honey, they are ready to be put away. What he really doesn't realize is how much of a feat it was to get them from the laundry basket to the washer AND the dryer in the first place! See. It is as bad as it seems. Pre-baby, keeping things in their place was a bit of a challenge but was manageable. Now, I don't know how other women do it! No wonder my mother wanted to banish us to the outdoors because as soon as she'd clean up one mess, we would have already made another. Let's not even think about what it will be like when Claire can actually make messes of her own. How do all the other mothers do it? I just dont have the heart to make Claire entertain herself all day while i clean here and there between feedings, naps and bath time. She deserves snuggles, loves, reading and interaction just as much as a clean towel after her bath. There has to be some kind of balance. I spend 3 days at work and the remaining 4 days of the week trying to clean the house while caring for the little miss. Never ending cycle. But still, I smile. There's a silver living under that pile of laundry. It's the fact that I know my daughter won't remember the messy kitchen or the unkempt couch pillows and snuggies. She will just remember the love and snuggles her mama had for her and that's all that really matters to me. So, when I seem a bit bashful about my messy house, just smile with me, try not to judge and realize that I am doing the best I can. I have learned that is all I can ask of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment