Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Never stop dreaming.

The biggest challenge you have
is to challenge your own self-doubt
and your laziness.


This daily quote rings so true in so many aspects of my life right now. I love the invitation business I have been getting lately, all through word of mouth. It's a fun, creative outlet that allows me to make a little money on the side. Design and getting paid for it? Talk about the best of both worlds. Plus, it gives me a sense of satisfaction. Look what I created. It's all my own, something that didn't exist before I created it and it makes me proud. Lately, I have been telling myself that I need to put myself out there. I need to create my website, or at the very least, an Etsy website to draw in more business. That's where the quote comes in...I guess what is holding me back is partly a fear of failure/rejection and partly that I am just being lazy. As if I expect the website that I envision in my head to just pop-up overnight. They say you gotta spend money to make money. Trust me, I know that is true. I have been giving people great deals on invitation sets just to earn the experience of working with clients. It's always a fun challenge to attempt to mold their ideas with my design sense and then, finally, bring their ideas to fruition.

Usually the work I do is revolving around baby showers, wedding showers, wedding invitations, etc so it's already a very exciting time for my clients. Once they see the work I've done, I can tell that they are happy with the outcome. There is no better feeling. It's moments like that when I wonder why this isn't my sole job? If I could make enough money at it, I would like to set up a little studio and just make invitations/announcement/correspondence cards. I already have a business name and everything. It's just a matter of actually making it happen. There's that laziness again. I want so badly for all these things to happen but life gets in the way. The dishes, the cars, the house, the job, the dog, the husband, the family. Everything else seems to overshadow my dream and I'm still trying to figure out how to uncover it. Luckily, my husband is my biggest fan. He challenges me to move forward with my talents every day. I'm confident that, one day, come hell or high water, we'll figure this out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment