Sunday, April 3, 2011

House of our (modest) dreams

Let me preface this post by saying - we don't want the world. We don't expect to find the perfect layout, a fabulous gourmet kitchen or even get all the things on our wish list. We are looking for a home that maybe needs a little updating (not huge renovations) but, for the most part, is move-in ready. I can live with ugly cabinets for a while more so than I can live with a giant mortgage that we can't afford. So, we have what I so-lovingly call modest dreams. And, in our stage in life, I think that's a good thing. We are all about living-within-our-means.

Yesterday, Kevin and I found the house of our (modest) dreams, minus the brick on the outside (but I supposed I'll survive), in the neighborhood of my first home back in 1984. It's a quaint 1500 sq ft ranch with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage and a completely fenced backyard complete with large planter boxes and plenty of grass for The Little Monst (and any future rugrats). The inside needs a little updating (like the heinous cabinetry in the kitchen and the dark 70's woodwork throughout), but the updates are all things that can be done over time. From this point, it seems move-in ready. The funny thing is, we haven't even toured the house - only seen pictures on the web. When my brother sent the link to me, I was first deterrred by the cerulean blue paint with fluorescent lime green trim (ahhh, Oregon) and the words "Seattle Seahawks" painted on the garage door. But, once you look past the paint, you see the true gem. It's just a plain and simple, adorable home. A perfect starter home, if you will. With a fresh coat of paint (and eventually a garage door without hideous colored tempered glass) this house would lend major curb appeal. The selling points for us?

1. It's in our price range (a bit above but do-able)!
2. It's in a great, quiet neighborhood where people take care of their yards.
3. There are sidewalks and manicured lawns lining extra wide, smooth-paved streets.
4. Kids toys are not strewn throughout the street and there are not busted up cars in people's driveways.
5. Best of all, the house is in a cul-de-sac surrounded by homes that are even nicer (most are split levels and 2-story homes)!

We are going to set up a meeting to view the home on Monday with a realtor I've known forever (family friend). Hopefully we leaving feeling just as excited as we do now. I keep envisioning the home, referring to it as "our house" and planning what kinds of changes I would make. There I go again, naming the puppy :)

1 comment: