Friday, January 15, 2010

Birthday Bliss - Melting Pot Style

Yesterday, as you know from my previous post, Kevin turned the BIG 2-5! I must admit, he took it a lot better than I did when I turned 25. Although he spent the morning and afternoon running errands or at home with Monster, he at least appreciated that he could relax. After work, I surprised him with a trip into the city. It was decorated with white lights in the trees so it looked really beautiful. I took a picture that I'll add later. We ate dinner at The Melting Pot in downtown Portland - the same restaurant he took me to the night we got engaged. It was so exciting to get to relive that special memory and even better to relive that great meal! Since it was Kevin's big day, he was excited that he got to choose what we ate (instead of compromising with me aka "miss picky"). So...dinner consisted of 4 courses. The first course was cheese fondue with three kinds of Swiss cheese with roasted mustard seeds and garlic mixed in. To complete the course, they bring you apples, three kinds of breads, mini pickles (weird), cauliflower and sausage to dip into the cheese. The second course we chomped on some salads, his caesar and mine California mixed greens with black raspberry vinaigrette. The third course was the meat cooked in broth fondue. Kevin chose the Mojo broth, flavored with garlic and citrus spices. The meat was lobster tail, filet mignon, top sirloin, prawns, sun-dried tomato ravioli, chicken and pork and included potatoes, broccoli and mushrooms to cook in the broth as well. It was a feast! The fourth course - the best one in my opinion - was the chocolate fondue! Kevin chose the Chocolate Turtle -- warm melting milk chocolate mixed with melted caramel then they lit Bacardi 151 Rum on fire and poured it into the chocolate pot to flambee it. Lastly, they added a bowl of roasted pecans. For dippers, they give you an entire plate of strawberries, bananas, oreo-crumb covered marshmallows, graham cracker-crumb covered marshmallows, rice krispie treats, pound cake squares and an entire slice of cheesecake topped with chocolate sauce and a cherry. (talk about a heart attack!!) It was delicious - more food than anyone could ask for! Kevin opened his gift from me -- two Blazer tickets to the Spurs game on February 4th. He was more than thrilled!! I told you I did good! What else do you buy for the guy that wants nothing!?! I was very proud of myself and happy he loved his birthday present! Add in a couple tropical cocktails for me and a 7 & Seven for Kevin...needless to say, it was one amazing night. To top it all off, we headed home to watch the final three episodes of The Office Season 5. Wish I could live like this every night! Happy Birthday babe. Can't wait to celebrate again with you and the parents tonight. Dinner and basketball game, here we come!! GO BLAZERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment