Sunday, August 16, 2009

Same life, New name

So I added a couple more days about the honeymoon. I'm still working on the details of the remaining days so it'll be a while...

Everyone keeps asking me if I feel any different now that I'm married. Not really. Kevin and I have always had a really close connection and, from the beginning, we've both put 100% into this relationship. Commitment was never an issue. Trust has never been an issue. I don't feel that now because we are married, we have more of a commitment. I never questioned it in the first place. However, we are very excited about being married. Kevin calls me his wife any chance he gets. It's still weird to go from being a girlfriend to a fiance for a brief time to a wife. I don't think I'm old enough to be a wife or a Mrs. Now he calls me Wifey instead. I like it better :)

Now that the honeymoon is over and we're back to the day-to-day, life seems the same as it was before. I just go through the motions of work and play but with a different name. That has probably been the hardest part to get used to. My name plate at work now says Katie Garvey. I have a whole box of business cards that say Katie Boss. I still sign my name as Katie Boss, my email signature still says Katie Boss, everything says Katie Boss but I'm all the sudden a different name to the world. Sometimes Kevin gets bummed when I introduce myself as Katie Boss instead of Garvey. I explain that it's not intentional--it's just a 24 year old habit. Hard to get used to. Just think...I have to use so many more bubbles to fill out Garvey on a form than Boss. I'm now half-way down the alphabetical name list instead of at the beginning. My name is going to be misspelled forever! And, although I've been practicing, I can't seem to make Garvey look very pretty in cursive. It's those dang G's that get me every time. Honestly, it's almost like I've lost a bit of myself. For as long as I can remember I've been a Boss, now I have to learn how to be a Garvey. Don't get me a wrong, I am thrilled and honored to be Kevin Malone's wife...I just have to get used to the name. Guess it's too late to convince him to be Mr. Kevin Boss, right? I can already tell marriage is an adventure and I'm looking forward to the ride.

1 comment:

  1. i went through the EXACT same thing and it snuck up on me, completely unanticipated. as excited as i was to be tom's wife (finally!) i was having a really hard time adjusting to the new name. i did loads of cool things under my maiden name and i wasn't ready to give up that part of my identity. and yes, i think a name is part of your identity. there's history and generations wrapped up in it. it's a gift that's passed on from your family. for all of these reasons, i'm a spacer. i'm legally tom's wife, but paperwork, magazine subscriptions, files all reflect my first, middle, maiden and then married name. fortunately, tom's completely understanding because he knows he would never give up his name so he doesn't expect me to give up mine. it's tough though. whatever you decide, i hope you're happy with the outcome and that you feel that it's reflective of katie boss AND katie garvey!

    ReplyDelete