Monday, June 29, 2009

Why am I still awake?

It's 12.26am on a Sunday. Technically, it's early Monday morning and yes, I have to work today. So why am I still awake? After lying in bed for about 30 minutes, I figured I might as well do something productive. My mind doesn't want to switch from my constant "go-go-go" routine long enough to allow me to get some shut-eye. All that's been playing over and over is what I still have left to do for the wedding.

I remember talking with Lauren, one of my bridesmaids slash cousins, when she was planning her wedding. She said at times it gets old deciding between this napkin or that one, this chicken or that one, etc. I thought to myself "No, that'll never be me. I have to make every decision myself. How in the world could you leave such important "life-altering" decisions up to someone else!?!" Now, I completely understand. No, I don't care if the plates my venue carries have gold rimming on them but there's no other gold in my wedding. No, I don't care if my dress is white and the linens are off-white. Unless I plan to be wearing a tablecloth as a cape, why would it even matter? No, I don't care if my table numbers are actual numbers or spelled-out numbers. No, I don't care if Kevin has a white handkerchief or purple handkerchief or black or any other color popping out of his lapel on the tux. In fact, I don't care if there is a handkerchief there at all. But, I do care about whether I have a wedding cake. I do care about whether my dad will be there to walk me down the aisle. I do care about my bridesmaids and groomsmen having a good time. I do care about what songs we dance to. But most importantly, I care about seeing Kevin at the alter and I care about the promises we are going to exchange. The entire meaning of this day is getting clouded by fabric swatches and color coordinating table decorations. In the end, we just want to enjoy our special day and want all of our guests to enjoy it too. Weddings are about family and commitment. So, from now on, I'm going to just decide what really matters. Whatever doesn't make the cut will be left behind. I want to enjoy this process and don't have very much more time to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment