Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rose Festival 2013

To find some adventure on a warm Saturday evening, our family of three headed to the Rose Festival, a fair down along the waterfront in Portland. Since going to my first fair with my best friend's family growing up, I have always loved fairs. The rides, the games, those stupid cheap stuffed animal prizes, the horribly-delicious, ulcer-inducing food. Elephant ear, anyone?
Being our first time to fair with an 18 month old, we weren't sure if she would enjoy it or be too overwhelmed. She must have gotten bit by the same fair bug her mama did because she loved it! We mad our way down to the kiddie rides and bought some tickets. Almost as soon as my dreams of riding on the mini airplanes or carousel with my girl popped into my head, they were shattered. On the ticket booth window it read that children must be 2 or older to ride and no refunds will be granted. I thought no problem, she's tall for her age and can pass for two. Little did I know, whilst handing over a $20...once you get to the rides, they also have height requirements. What the? I suppose, looking back, I should have anticipated that but I didn't. I managed to sneak her onto the big slide. She rode down like a boss on her mama's lap yelling "weeee!" all the way to the bottom while her papa snapped photos from the base. I also half-coaxed, half-barged my way past a young carnie onto the fire truck ride. Claire enjoyed it also, minus the clunk noise it made after each rotation. She'd clutch me tighter and I'd smile bigger each time.
To spend the rest of our non-refundable tickets, we assisted Claire in some fair games. She won a squishy ball and a starfish stuffed animal. Neither of which have been played with since, but it was fun nonetheless.
A quick trip through the wild animal exhibit proved to be more of an education or us than her. She would point a the animals and imitate heir sounds while we carried her for safekeeping. She I'd stick her head through a gate near the baby lion cage (not in it) and got it stuck. That was the end of the animal exhibit.

Lastly, on to fair food! Papa was definitely in search of a good beer and all his mama wanted was a hot, cinnamony-sweet elephant ear. However, we decided to be the responsible parents we knew we should be and fill our bellies with dinner before dessert. A couple of pulled pork sandwiches, smoked mac-n-cheese and an ear of corn for the C Bear and a Rogue beer later and we were full. Claire and that corn on the cob, hold the butter and salt, were a match made in heaven. She even yelled "Uh-Oh!" at me in a sassy tone because I took a bite. Apparently, sharing doesn't work both ways with a toddler. Too funny!

We decided to rest our bellies and let Claire get her energy out and she definitely took full advantage, running all over the festival grounds. That girl can be so crazy. We ended the night with an elephant ear for mama, an ice cream cone (her first) for Claire which she wasn't too impressed with and the mother of all fair food hot apple pie fries for the papa. Too die for! We spent way to much in money and calories but the memories more than make up for it. Cannot wait for Oregon State Fair and the Clackamas County Fair in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment