Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day!

I think my friend said it best:

NOT BECAUSE HE HAD TO,
BUT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO.

Kevin is that father. You know, the one that you compare your fathers and husbands to, the one that makes all the rest look bad. He is such an attentive father, very present in his daughter's life. Never has he refused or ignored when she has asked him to read her a book or to wrestle on the living room floor. He races home from work and instead of walking in after a long day on his feet and kicking back with a beer, he helps to feed, bathe and then plays with his daughter. He never acts like he doesn't have the time for her and I love the way he loves her. Kevin is more than anything I could have anticipated when it comes to being the perfect father for a little girl. She gets to grow up feeling loved, cherished, adored, valued. I want that for her and I am so thankful to call him mine. Claire can't say it yet, but I know if she could, she would agree that her papa is the best. Just when I thought I couldn't love him more as a husband or a best friend, we had a daughter and he became a father. I love their bond.
 
At Kevin's request, his Father's Day was pretty low-key this year. Woke up early and got the gym out of the way, took care of Claire while I went to church, watched a couple soccer games while Claire napped then headed out to my parents for a BBQ with the family. Claire and I showered him with a couple gifts including a new golf shirt, a box of golf balls and Claire's custom-made "Best Dad in the World - hands down!" sign to hang above his dresser. It was a relaxing Sunday just like he wanted.

So, on Father's Day, and every other day of the year I just hope I remember to tell him often enough just how much his time and sacrifices mean to his daugher and his wife. Don't know where we would be without you, Kevin. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment