Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Very Special Mother's Day

Mother's Day was really special this year. I received beautiful flowers from my little Claire Bear (via Grandma K) on Saturday. On Sunday, Kevin let me sleep in (bliss!) while he cleaned up the kitchen downstairs. When I woke up, I sipped on some coffee out of my favorite mug with my favorite creamer while my hunk whipped me up a wonderful breakfast. He recreated my favorite broccoli & sharp cheddar omelet from my favorite breakfast place in Corvallis, but adjusted it to mostly egg whites to make it more weight watcher friendly. He thinks of everything! It came with a side of sweet potato hash and mimosa's. Yum! And the fact that I didn't even lift a finger? Double-yum! The table was adorned with my beautiful flower bouquet and we all sat down to eat breakfast as a family. Claire kept asking for more "tees, peas" (trees, please) - Kevin taught her to call broccoli trees. She's the cutest and breakfast was nothing short of fabulous.
A few days prior I had made plans to go see The Big Wedding with my mom for Mother's Day. So, after breakfast, I got ready and headed out to my mom's house. I delivered to her a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers from the farmer's market. She loved them! My mom got me a really adorable all-white garden gnome and a little mini-gnome on a stick to put in a pot. I'm still hunting for the perfect homes for them. Not sure what my gnome obsession is all about, but I just can't get enough of their cuteness. Kevin wasn't too found that my collection had grown but that's life. I informed him that they are going in the front yard and he didn't have any say since it was Mother's Day. He just smiled.
Window shopping at the mall with my mom was fun. We got a couple things needed for our upcoming trip then headed over to the theater. In typical chick-flick style, it was jam-packed with other mother-daughter couples. We laughed our way through the movie and thoroughly enjoyed our time together. Sometimes it's nice to just get away from it all. The movies always does that for me. Mom and I parted ways with a kiss and wishes for a Happy Mother's Day exchanged to each of us.
Little did I know, Kevin was up to a little something-something while I was out. My return was greeted with a very happy (but still under the weather) baby and 3 presents on the kitchen table. He was very specific on how he would like me to open the gifts, each labeled with a card and little blurb about the treasure inside:

"So many things seem to run in three's. We have our three person family. You are three very important things to me - my best friend, my wifey and the mother of our child. So it only makes sense to get you three gifts:"
Gift 1: Quality Time with Your Husband!
"Gee, aren't you a lucky one. This gift may not be a surprise, but you deserve some time with me doing what you like to do. Consider it an experience with me to remember." - It was a giftcard for us to get pedicures together. I have been trying to get him to go with me for years.
Gift 2: Nurturing the Claire Bear
"Parenthood has it's ups and downs, but few things are as rewarding and stress free as sharing positive moments with our daughter. Here is a tool that will help you remember this Mother's Day and Claire, but also allow you to teach and interact with Claire in the future." - It was a pot with Claire's handprints all over it, complete with soil and a tomato plant. This should be fun!
Gift 3: The Simple Things
"Time to keep it real. Spending time with Claire and I and calling it relaxing? That's probably the most stressful thing you do. We are probably taking years off your life. So, here's an entirely different way to relax. Consider it a way to forget us both for a moment." - Not sure I'd ever want to forget them, but the sentiment is nice. It was a bottle of 88 Vodka from a local Portland distillery. And boy, is it good! Kevin completed my cocktail by mixing the sweet nectar with some fresh, partially frozen watermelon puree. Happy Mother's day to me!
So, after tearing up at the ever-so-sweet card he got for me, we ended the day by eating a healthy meal together and sipping on watermelon cocktails. He sure went above and beyond anything I expected, but I was enjoying all the special treatment. I love my family and I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment