Monday, October 29, 2012

Because you think you won't forget...

Every cute thing she does...the noises, the giggles, the funny stories. You think you will always remember, that you would never forget. But, you will. The new memories will crowd out the old ones in your brain and some will just get lost.

I have always been one to keep a journal. It helps me to write things down, get them out of my head, make room for more information, more memories. Just put it all out there and move forward. So, it's no wonder I have enjoyed keeping track of Claire's life as she's grown. Dates that she's hit certain milestones, her growth, doctor's appointments, funny things she does and the first time she's eaten all sorts of foods. To me, these things are important. This past week I ordered myself two birthday presents from Amazon.com - The Mommy Journal and The Birthday Book.

The Mommy Journal is a low-pressure, small-sectioned journal (each page is divided into thirds so you don't feel daunted by a huge empty page) that allows to me to jot down special events, funny things Claire does, reactions she has to certain foods/situations or little love notes I want to make sure she knows when she's older. It's definitely a great way to keep track of memories she's making in a way that she will (hopefully) appreciate later.

The Birthday Book is just that - a book to document every birthday from 1-18. There is a page for photos, a page of questions about the party (theme, cake, guests, favorite gifts, etc) and once she gets older, there is an interview to conduct with the child each year (what do you want to be when you grow up, what's your favorite color, why is turning this age so exciting, etc). The idea is to do this each year and then give as a gift on their 18th birthday, first day of college, wedding day or something equally special. With her 1st birthday coming up, I can hardly wait!

I've got my pen of choice...let the memory making begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment