Thursday, January 5, 2012

Can't do it without him.


I am the picture perfect image of every cliche new mother. I've let myself go. I'm emotional. I'm terrified of doing something wrong or being judged. I'm even more exhausted and barely holding it together. Everyday I am wearing scrubby clothes. It's a miracle if I even find time to run a comb through my hair. My feet are so rough, they practically create runs in the sheets and, despite the overabundance of deodorant I slather on after every once-in-a-while shower, I still find time to smell. I know, I know. You must be thinking Kevin is such a lucky man! But he loves me through it all. He loves me through the incessant, drop of the hat crying. He loves me through the sleepless nights and the even-longer mornings. He loves me through my over-analyzing and stressing about this, that or the other thing. He loves me through the recovery from surgery and the need for extra rest and pampering. He loves me through my need for extra reassurance that I am doing a great job. And, bless his heart, through it all he still finds the way to look at me the same way he did when he proposed. The same way he looked at me when I walked up that aisle towards him to say I do. A few extra cry fests and a stapled, stretch-marked stomach didn't deter him from making me feel like I am still the most important person in his life. Without those daily constant reminders, I'm not so sure I could get through this new phase called motherhood. Not only is he the baby-whisperer and a fabulous papa, he calms me down when I worry, he reminds me not to stress, he reminds me that we're a team, he takes away the pressures I feel and he loves me patiently, tenderly and unconditionally. He takes the baby when I'm clearly at my wits end. Essentially, and as corny as it may sound, he's the Katie-whisperer, too. Claire and I are the two luckiest gals. I hope, one day, Claire will find a man like her papa. He sure knows how to love me well.

2 comments:

  1. I love this :) So happy for all of you.. so glad you have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite all of the tears that have been shed you have been an amazing mother. To watch you and Kevin become a mother and father has made my heart swell. You are a wonderful team and you both watch each other and rise up when the other just doesn't have the energy. Having a new little being that needs you for EVERYTHING in their world is so demanding and you are both doing everything right. There is no right or wrong it's just knowing to recognize what is and what isn't working and making the adjustments. This is the most important job you will both do in your lives and you have both been amazing. I love you till my heart is bursting. mom

    ReplyDelete