Tuesday, June 19, 2012

She naps, I blog.

Before we had Claire, there was time to float lazily down the river, a cold beer in one hand and my love's hand in the other. Now, the lazy river has definitely run dry. Life with a baby has turned into sink-or-swim time real quick. With each new day, I just jump in, hold my breath and pray that I resurface at day's end. Truth is, I have a running list in my head of what I'm behind on blogging about. I have drafts of Claire's 1st month, 2nd month, 3rd month, 4th month, 5th month and soon-to-be-completed 6th month of life. I haven't even posted her birth story (which is really only half-way done). Since these are so overdue, no time really seems like the right time. I decided today, I'm just diving in. Here's a sneak peak into our crazy life with our beautiful six-month-old:

Little miss has officially transitioned into the next stage of clothing. Her tags all don the "6 month" mark and she looks too cute in all her new duds. It was harder for me to box up the newborn and "3 month" clothes than I anticipated. Bittersweet is a good word - sweet that she's growing like she should be, bitter because she's growing up way too fast.

Her little badunkadunk diaper butt is getting bigger by the minute, too. She now wears a size 2 diaper. My stash of 1200+ diapers from the baby showers is quickly dwindling down, but we sure were blessed that they lasted for this long. I honestly have probably only purchased maybe 5 packages of diapers on our own. Huggies is still the preferred brand, although Costco's Kirkland Signature brand is my next favorite. Pampers, you're the worst. Now that Claire is rolling over and recently prefers to spend most of her time on her tummy, diapering her before she rolls over is often impossible. I can't even imagine what it will be like when she's crawling!

Starting a week or so prior to her 6 month old mark, we started to feed Claire solid food. She first tried rice cereal and has since transitioned onto more exciting things like bananas, avocados, carrots, sweet potatoes and pears. So far, the avocados and pears seem to be tied as her favorite flavors and carrots are her least favorite. I have so many photos and videos of her trying her first foods. We'll just leave it at that - it will have to be it's own post entirely :)

Kevin and I have started watching Baby Signing Time with the hopes of teaching Claire baby sign language. They say it helps tremendously during the terrible two stage when children get so frustrated because they are unable to clearly communicate what they want. We'll see. It should be fun either way! And hey, if you need to know how to sign any of these words (eat, drink, milk, juice, more, cracker, cereal, tree, diaper, please, thank you, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, boy, girl, baby, frog, horse, cat, or dog) I'm your girl!

Pretty much from the beginning, Claire has been a good sleeper. Even during the newborn stage, she slept good amounts between feeds for a wee little one. We just moved her bedtime from 10pm to 9pm and she handled it like a pro. She sleeps straight through from 9pm until about 7.30-8am. She's not a very happy camper when I have to wake her at 6am on my work days but she adjusts well with an extra nap. Now her nighttime routine not only consists of a solid food feeding but also story time, nursing and to bed by 9pm. Good for her, great for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment