Friday, December 9, 2011

Friend Baby Shower

My sister (in law) Lindsi, my best friend growing up Kristen and my cousin Michelle were gracious enough to co-host my Friend Baby Shower for me on October 16, 2011. After my family baby shower, I wasn't quite sure what to expect in regards to my friend baby shower. To tell you the truth, I was a little nervous because I had already received so much at my family shower that I felt a little overwhelmed. Then, once it started and I saw all those familiar faces, I felt at home. I figured the turnout would be just a few close friends, as we are all busy with our own jobs, lives and agendas, but luckily most of those invited were able to celebrate Claire's arrival with me! Just like my family shower, there was great food, fabulous company and great conversation.

My cousin Michelle opened up her new home to all my friends. It was a great place to celebrate as her home is spacious and perfect for entertaining. With this shower, the theme was more glamorous and chic with lime green, black and white with polka dots and celebrated the pregnant mama. The invitations, made by Lindsi, were absolutely adorable with an old-fashioned baby buggy stamped on the front of each one. I just loved the way they turned out and actually got multiple compliments on them from friends. There were cute lime green daisies, the always-adorable diaper cake decoration and a smorgasbord of yummy seasonal delights including pumpkin cookies, a spice cake, my all-time favorite homemade chocolate chip cookies and much more! And for dessert (as if we didn't already have enough sweets!), Kristen made some beautiful cupcakes with lime green frosting in keeping with the theme. All the food and decorations were very well coordinated. I love and appreciate all the little details that these three hosts planned - it's as if they thought of everything!

In between eating the equivalent of the baby's weight in sweets and fresh pineapple, I found time to catch up with friends that I hadn't seen in a while. It was nice to know what everyone is up to and to answer all their questions about baby Claire and becoming a mama. I have know most of the people in attendance since high school or college with the exception of a few that I've known since 4th grade and a few that I just met at work a couple years ago. It was a nice mix of ages, backgrounds and interests. I had this moment at the shower when I realized how interesting life has been since high school and college for all of us. Some are married, some are not. Some are in serious relationships, some are focusing on themselves. Some have careers, some are just working to get by until they find something better. Some have children, some can't imagine having a husband let-alone kids at this age. We have all just chosen our own paths and found the way that is right for us, but when we get together, it's as if nothing has changed. We accept each other the way we are, no questions asked. And it's so funny how time spent with certain people can magically transport you back to that time in your life as if no time has passed at all. I can instantly feel the drama surging when I'm reminiscing with high school friends. I can remember the interesting mix of stress and carefree attitudes of our college days. It's like you have these moments in time when you share a certain bond with someone and you can never seem to move past it. That's what I love about friends...true friends. The ones that are there for the big moments in your life, even if you don't see each other very often. I appreciate everyone that took time out of their busy schedules to rub my belly, share that they still can't believe I'm having a baby and celebrate my little bundle of joy. There really is nothing in life better than true friends.

When we found a moment to breathe between all the gossip and laughter, I opened my pile of beautiful gifts. Baby Claire and I got so much, I don't know where we're going to store it all! Feels like I just kept opening and opening forever. We also played a really fun game. Lindsi handed everyone a chunk of playdough and told the guests they each had 5 minutes to fashion a what they think baby Claire will look like. Everyone got really into it! Then, it was my job as the mama, to judge all the dough babies and decide whose I liked best. Mostly everyone did a good job, with the exception of a few that looked like an alien :) Very creative game. I'll remember it for the next shower I host, for sure.

And forgive me, but my pregnancy brain has reached a stand-still and I am unsure how to wrap up this post. So, I'll finish off by saying my friend shower was so much fun. I couldn't have asked for anything more. I left feeling very blessed, very loved and took with me a car full of gifts mixed in with an overwhelming sense of joy knowing there are so many that truly care about me, Kevin and our little one. She is one loved little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment