Monday, December 7, 2009

too trusting?

usually other people disappoint you. they either do or say something to hurt your feelings or they make promises they can't keep (or don't intend to keep). but i disappoint myself. kevin says one of my downfalls is that i am too trusting. i'm beginning to learn that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. and it's not a control thing, it's really not. i just continue to count on people that refuse to follow through.

this all stems from a baby shower that i threw for my sister yesterday. although it was great and turned out really fun, only half - yes, 50% - of the people that rsvp'd 'yes' didn't bother enough to show up to the shower. FIFTY PERCENT!!! it's just really hard to not take it to heart when people don't bother to follow through. maybe it was their intention in the first place? don't get me wrong, i know that things come up last minute and that, in short, LIFE HAPPENS...but not for 30 people! it's all about priorities and having genuine intentions. it's my pet peeve--i just don't say that i'm going to do something if i know in my heart that it's not my intention. i just wish people could have a little bit more consideration. okay, now i'm done venting. i'm sorry if this is rude, but i needed to get it out of my system. and i, quite frankly, feel that lindsi deserves to know that it not only hurt her feelings, but mine too. later, i will post the photos from the shower and all of the HAPPY and DELIGHTFUL details. because it was a fabulous shower, if i do say so myself.

luckily, i have a husband that is genuine and honest. although he shows me the error of my ways sometimes regarding trusting other people, he always knows how to make me feel better when i am disappointed. a night of cuddling and watching movies was just what i needed. all i want to know is, is there really such a thing as being too trusting?

4 comments:

  1. I have to say that I truy honestly wanted to go and was planning on going and bringing Elle along too and then well, my ENTIRE family came down with a NASTY cold. I had to cancel going to my in-laws Chrsitmas party, singining at the Tillstroms church and last but not least could not attend the shower you threw for Lindsi. Sorry a lot of people cancelled and despite that I hope Lindsi had a great shower but my reasoning is gunuine please know that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hon! i'm sorry!

    we had ivy's shower right after she was born. she was maybe 5 or 6 weeks old. my mom hosted it and it was a NO-GIFT shower! we just wanted to get girl friends together to eat some good food, drink some wine and champagne and pass little lou around. i think she sent out 20-25 invites and my best friend, jules, was the only person who showed up. no joke. it was me, mom, robin and juli. LAME. it was hurtful at first, but after a couple glasses of wine, i realized that i had a great time and it was really fun.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a blast Katie! You did a wonderful job, and everyone that came said they had such a fun time! I am so glad you took pictures, cuz I totally forgot to charge my camera. Can't wait to see them! Thanks again for all the time and care you put into throwing baby girl #2 the shower! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about it being rude for people not to show. Especially such a large amount of people. I think it sucks :( They had a thing in Mary Kay that always helped me with things like this (cuz people ALWAYS say they will book a party or facial & then just don't bother to show/call..made me furious!!) They said if you want 10 people there invite 25 beacause they will tell you they will be there & then things happen. I think the rule can be applied for showers & parties too! :) Don't take it personally, you and Lindsi are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete